A Great Place To Visit While In St. Louis: Union Station

St. Louis Union Station, also known as SLUS, no longer serves eastbound and westbound passenger trains. It is the nation’s most important station and was built during America’s westward expansion. You can use it for entertainment and shopping. There are many cafes, restaurants, museums, and plays. You have two options: either go on a tour or stay in the hotel.

It was built in the middle 1890s. It was constructed in the middle of the 1890s.

The shed was converted into an outdoor entertainment area with an aquarium, a shopping center, and an outdoor dining area. It was a remarkable transformation. View of St. Louis Union Station in November 1977, right before Amtrak left.

A Brief Historical History of St. Louis Union Station

St. Louis was the “Gateway To The West”, due to its position at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Just over 20 years ago, the Transcontinental Railroad was constructed. Frontier continues to receive new lines. This is where you will find many trunk lines from Eastern and Western countries as well as future subsidiary companies.

Iron Mountain & Southern, Missouri Pacific.

After the Civil War, St. Louis was America’s fourth-largest metropolitan area. It now ranks fourth in terms of size, after New York City and Philadelphia. Union Station is home to Missouri Pacific’s #11, the “Colorado Eagle”, train. Gulf, Mobile & Ohio E7A #222102 also house train #4, “The Limited”, which will leave Union Station on April 17, 1963. The city’s status as a gateway allowed many westbound settlers to access it. This was an important factor in the growth of the city. St. Louis understood the importance of the station and wanted a station to connect multiple terminals within the city. It hosted a contest for global design and received submissions both from the United States and Europe. Cameron and Link were chosen as the winners.

Brian Solomon’s Railroad Stations shows that Thomas C. Link (also known as Edward B. Cameron or French Romanesque style designer Edward B. Cameron) proposed a design that would reflect the city’s French heritage. Hans and April Halberstadt stated in their book, The American Train Depot & Roundhouse that the building evokes a majestic chateau on the Loire River. It is made of Missouri granite and has an unusual appearance. It is unique among Midwestern cities like Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Indianapolis, which were built between 1878-1890. On April 16, 1963, the #4 train of Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, also known by the northbound “Limited”, left St. Louis Union Station bound for Chicago.

The most notable exterior feature was its clock tower, measuring 280 feet. It had towering Romanesque arches. Grand Hall had a 65-foot vaulted ceiling. It also featured stained-glass windows that were made in St. Louis by Davis & Chambers. The interior was divided into three sections. The Headhouse contained the Grand Hall. It featured mosaics/frescoes from Healy & Millet of St. Louis as well as gold leaf details, scagliola, and a scagliola flooring. The main concourse measured 610 feet in length and 70 feet in width. It measured 610 feet long. It was 70ft wide and 610ft long. The 600-foot-wide Trainshed was designed by George H. Pegram. The Trainshed was nearly 12 acres in area and featured 32 tracks. The Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis was founded in 1889 by MP, StLIM&S, and Wabash. It also had 32 tracks. The Aloe Plaza, named after her, was built for $100,000 in 1940. Bronze statues mark the spot where the Mississippi River and the Missouri River meet. Carl Milles, an artist from Sweden, designed these bronze statues. The station was capable of serving 31 railroad lines and 22 railways at its peak. Some of these railroads joined later. These are some of the most impressive trains to have been on TRRA’s rails.

B&O’s National Limited Diplomat & Diplomat.

Knickerbocker NYC and Southwestern Limited;

Missouri Pacific’s Missouri River Eagle. Missourian, Ozarker. Southerner. Sunflower. Sunshine Special

Abraham Lincoln and Mobile

L&N’s Humming Bird

Pennsylvania’s Spirit Of St. Louis (a joint venture by MP)

All Wabash trains named, including the Bluebird or the Wabash Cannon Ball

BNSF Railways, CSX Transportation, and CSX Transportation still use the TRRA railroad as a freight carrier.

Missouri Pacific PA-2 #8033 departs St. Louis Union Station via “Texas Eagle”. (St. Louis, Texas).

The St. Louis Union Station was opened to the public on September 1, 1894. It cost $6.5million to build and was a great success. It was the first American mall. The arcade was located near Grand Hall. It’s light and airy with an open feel. It was finally retired after only 10 years. It was renovated to accommodate many of the visitors who visited the city during the 1904 World’s Fair. It was renovated last in the 1940s. The interior was the main focus. As more people moved to highways or other airlines, it began to decline in the 1950s/60s.

Amtrak assumed control of all intercity railway services in the United States on May 1, 1971. Three trains were lost at Union Station’s trainshed. The last train that left Union Station on October 31, 1978, was the Inter-American (Chicago-Laredo, Texas). Oppenheimer Properties bought the building for $5.5million. This was a significant change from the previous owners. The new owners immediately renovated the structure. It was intended to be a popular entertainment venue even though it did not have a train service. After a $150 million restoration, it was reopened to the public in August 1985. Saint Louis Union Station is much more beautiful than it was when it was railroad-owned. Because of its beautiful interior and recently renovated rooms, the station is a landmark in the city. There are more than 20 restaurants and specialty shops at the station. The station underwent major renovations in 2011. 2011 saw major renovations at the station. Tourists and visitors have been able to enjoy more luxurious accommodations. Metro Link still offers service, even though four tracks have been removed.

Leave a Reply